Saturday, April 17, 2010

The Blessings of Being Pregnant

Sugar gives me heartburn. Not spicy food, not eating too much, just sugar. I had two donuts this afternoon, and I am paying for it now...

I figured this out most clearly when I went in for my gestational diabetes test this last week. They had me drink about 350 ml of pure sugar water (a certain combination of dextrose and glucose and other sugars) within 5 minutes, ( I chugged it, cause the sooner I finished the sooner they could start timing) and then exactly an hour later they drew blood for lab work. That's all that was in my stomach that whole hour... just a mere 350 ml of liquid sugar, and it gave me heartburn. 

I really don't have much to complain about though. Of all the major complaints that people have about later on in pregnancy, such as heartburn, not very good sleeps, jabs to the ribs, tap dancing on the bladder, well, it hasn't been that bad for me. Tomorrow will mark the fact that I am unmistakably in the third trimester, so I suppose that could start to change things. ( I'll be 28 weeks then... although I'd almost say 26 weeks counts for second tri... depends on how you divide things up!) I rarely eat anything sugary, and I've hardly ever gotten heartburn this whole pregnancy. Baby Goo moves, and is plenty active, but only jabs in ways that hurt if I haven't been that active that day. (Sitting on the couch for extended periods of time isn't a good idea. I get jabbed in the ribs!) So long as I've been working in the garden, or going for a run, or working out using the Wii fit... Baby Goo is quite happy to be calm and kick gently. (Most of the time it just tickles!) It's great motivation to stay in motion!  I honestly hadn't felt any distinct kicks to my bladder until today. So far, it's not too bad... but I imagine it could get worse. :) As for not being able to sleep, God has blessed us with an amazing Tempur-Pedic memory foam bed, and the only complaint I am starting to have with it is because it is a king size! It comes in two twins joined to make the king, leaving us with a small crack between the halves of the bed. I used to be able to sleep on the crack (and close to my husband on his side of the bed) with no problem... but now I've got to choose: sleep comfortably, or sleep next to D!  He's been great about letting me sleep on my side and him coming over to the middle to cuddle for a while...

As you can see, I have plenty of physical blessings to count in this pregnancy. I've been able to run almost weekly for the last month or so, and have been so enjoying how good I feel afterwards. D and I actually registered for our first 5k together! It will be the beginning of May. I am so blessed! I hope to come back and read this blog post on my rougher days of pregnancy that I will undoubtedly face, and be reminded of how beautiful of a miracle pregnancy is, and how wonderfully easy of a journey I have been blessed with.

Count your blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment