Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Go to the ant...

This week has been an interesting one. I know it's only Wednesday, and there is plenty more week to go around. I hope that the rest of the week will improve. 

Last week- on Friday-  I had a great day getting everything done on my list in preparation for my knitting group that night. I dusted, vacuumed and tidied up downstairs, the kitchen was in order, and I even gave the floor a quick wash down. I accomplished everything that was on my list before that evening. It was a perfect ending to a great week. I did have a few things on my to-do list that carried over to the next week... 

Que Monday. I don't really remember what I did Monday, probably because I didn't do much of anything. I have a dry-erase board in the kitchen that I use to write down the things that I need to do that day. It is in a high-traffic, visible location- perfect for reminding me of what I have to do. I usually spend some time first thing in the morning, or even the night before (if I am ambitious) writing out my game plan for the day. But Monday, I didn't. My whiteboard was just that... white. 

Tuesday, well... I know what I did Tuesday. I wasted time on the computer and didn't accomplish much of anything. I didn't even get ready for the day (dressed etc) until I had to leave for my Dr.'s appointment- at 3:00 pm. (Everything is average with both me and the baby! Praise the Lord!) David has spring allergies, but Tuesday morning he had woken up with a sore throat on top of the regular allergies... by last night (That was Tuesday night... I know it's past 12:00am Thursday now, but it still feels like Wednesday to me.) I had the same sore throat. I'm blessed I don't have allergies on top of it, but even with going to bed early last night, today was a bit of a "sick day" for me.

We have offered to host our Bible study Wednesday nights, so I needed to have the house in good shape for that. I needed to get work done today. It would have been so much easier on me if I had just worked a little better Monday and Tuesday. But sometimes it takes a while for us to learn those lessons. I worked at what I could today, and did get quite a few things done. One quote that kept coming to mind was from Emilie Barnes: "It doesn't have to be done perfectly, it just needs to be done". Sometimes -I'm wondering if that's what happened to me on Monday- sometimes I think that when I look at all of the things that I need to do, its hard to know where to start. Beyond that, I don't really want to start a task- say- cleaning out the fridge, (it needs to be done) because I don't think I have the time to do it as well as I want to do it at that point- so I don't do it at all. This quote encourages me to start anyway. I might not get it all done, but I can at least get something done. Today I started cleaning windows- a spring cleaning task that needs to be done- but I didn't have the time to get it all of the windows in our house done in one afternoon. In fact, I only cleaned the front and back glass doors... nothing else. But hey! I at least got something done. It reminds me of another quote: (which I just looked up and found out I miss-memorized it as a child. The real quote is first:) "Mile by mile, life's a trial. Yard by yard, it's not so hard. Inch by inch, it's a cinch!" ~Unknown 
(My version:  "Yard by yard, life's hard. Mile by mile, it takes a while. But inch by inch, everything's a cinch!" )

So tomorrow, inch by inch I will get things done.
Tomorrow, I will not worry about getting things done perfectly, just done! 
I want that Friday night feeling again, my to-do list full of check marks. 
Reaching goals feels good. But in order to reach them, I need to set them - every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment