Monday, February 22, 2010

Sweaters and snow

I woke up earlier than I would have liked this morning and drove D to his exam through several inches of slippery, slushy snow. No such thing as a snow day for a medical student!


Part of the blame for this morning being earlier than I wanted it to be was the fact that I didn't get to bed until much later than I had intended. The reason for that is best shown, not explained. See:


I finally got the body of my sweater done! Mind you, it was 12:30 AM when I finished it. I intended to go to bed closer to, oh, maybe 11:30, and when 11:30 came I decided that I would knit until midnight and then stop, but when midnight came and I was only a very short section away from being completely done with it, well...
I finished.


All that I have left to do now is knit two sleeves, block the pieces, seam them together, and finish it off with a brown i-cord edging and I'm done! The body is going to get soaked and put on my nifty blocking pads from Sam's club (Heavy-duty interlocking safety mats... :D ) today. I'm going to give a sleeve my best shot today as well, and hopefully I can get one done. Personally, I'd like to be wearing this on Thursday when I go to SSK (South-side knitters- a little group of us that meet at a coffee shop Thursday mornings). But... that might just be wishful thinking.


Last Thursday at SSK I was just starting to pick up stitches off of the cable braid across the bottom of the sweater. I needed help from some of my expert knitting friends to finish my calculations about where to make the decreases on the sides. ( I love the cable on this pattern, but I wasn't too excited about wearing a rectangle...) In the hour and a half or so that I worked on it that morning, I picked up my stitches and did about 2 rows beyond that. Not much at all. And yet my goal is to have it finished a week later at our next meeting? A knitter can dream, can't she?


A little note about the decreases I did- I made the braid according to the directions for a L sized sweater, picked up the # of stitches for a L size sweater, (216) and proceeded to make decreases on either side of where the M sized back would be, (center 96 stitches) until I had reached the # of stitches for the M size. (192) I did the decreases fairly evenly spread over the 74 rows it took me to get 15" of fabric. Then I proceeded to work the arm shaping according to the instructions for a M sized sweater. It seems to have worked quite nicely! I will be making two M sized sleeves to match the arm-hole shaping.


Enough taking about it! I must get to work! The time is slipping away from me, and I have plenty of hours to put in, both on the knitting, and a few other things around the house that need to be done. I leave you with a quote that seems fitting in light of my lofty sweater project goals: "Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss it, you will land among the stars"

2 comments:

  1. Hey it is looking good...

    Sorry to hear about the snow.... we are loosing ours... not fast but it is gradually settling in .. the sun is really warming things up here.. the other day it was -11 and yet the snow had melted on the roof of the truck.. it was facing south and the heat inside the cab, resulting from the sun shining through the windows had melted the snow.. Hurray... spring is coming..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Can't wait to see it finished! I won't be at SSK due to a training thing for the new job, but I hope to see you at Rae's Thursday evening.

    ReplyDelete