Friday, September 3, 2010

Socks



Yes, I know I can buy socks at Walmart. But since I've started knitting my own, I don't think I want to anymore. If you've never worn a pair of hand-knit socks, you are missing out. The truth is that unless you can knit you probably can't afford a pair. Just the cost of yarn for a pair of socks can easily cost 15 dollars or more.  My first pair used $18 dollars worth of yarn, and I think I spent close to 40 hours on it so... at $7 an hour that's about $280 dollars... you've got yourself a pair of $300.00 socks.  I'm sure some people could afford that, and hey, if you're one of them who wants to spend $300.00 on the nicest feeling pair of socks you've ever worn, drop me a line, and we might be able to work a deal. ;)

But enough talk about the value of socks.This is a history of the socks I've made, so far. I'd love it if some day, I only owned hand-knit socks, and no more Walmart ones.

The first pair I made were for my dad for his birthday.
Gray Panda Silk sock for Dad
Dad proudly wearing his socks


































One of DH's socks



I made my next two pairs by kniting the first sock of each before going back and making the second sock for each pair. One for DH, and one for me. DH's pair was finished first.
My "Happy Spring Socks"
































One of the local yarn shops (Rae's Yarn Boutique) has started doing a "sock of the month" club. I bought the July kit, mostly because I know the designer, (Lynn H) and I've always wanted to have one of her patterns. What better pattern than a sock pattern?
Summer Squiggle Sock



 I just finished up the first sock tonight, and, as you would have it, I'm doing it again: I've got a sock for DH started that I'll finish before I go back and do second socks. But we'll see what happens once I start working on Christmas presents. Just a little "preview" of the sock- mind you, he picked the yarn, and he picked the pattern.

DH's sock in Extravayarnza's Wonderflonium yarn

3 comments:

  1. I also have a desire to get to the point where I have no store bought socks. :-) Hand knit socks are the most wonderful thing in the world!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have honestly never worn a hand knit sock...or pair of socks...at least, that i know of....looks comfy though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let me tell you how fantastic these socks really are. I have never in my life had a gift that has been so special... they are absolutely awesome..

    thank you ... Sarah-Ashley..

    ReplyDelete